About us: Archiact Interactive is a Vancouver-based Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR) Studio that develops new and unique ways for people to play games and interact with each other. We partner with IP holders, large publishers, and tech brands to create and deliver immersive, high-end game experiences across multiple platforms with a special focus on building new tools for cutting edge emerging technology.
Our games: Recent titles include DOOM 3: VR Edition (on PSVR), FREEDIVER: Triton Down (on PC, PSVR and Oculus Quest), and MARVEL: Dimension of Heroes (a smartphone-powered Superhero experience built for Lenovo Mirage (AR). We are currently in the early stages of several new and highly innovative projects with leading industry partners and are searching for the best and the brightest to help us transform the world of VR and AR game development. Interested? Read on.
Our values: At Archiact, diversity is developed and driven by our employees. Inclusion is the way we show our commitment to this core value. Diversity in all areas of our workforce helps us build innovative and immersive experiences that are accessible to everyone.
We are a Vancouver-based studio but are happy to consider candidates from all over Canada to work remotely.
Role Overview: Archiact is looking for a Technical Artist to join our agile and fast paced team. This strong communicator will work closely with Art and Engineering to develop assets, tools, and new standards and workflows – whatever it takes to push the visual quality of our games to new levels! We are in the process of putting together a small Tech Art team to work on upcoming projects.
About you: You are a Technical Artist with unique skills. You may be an expert in one specific area or be a generalist experienced with multiple areas of the art pipeline. You are confident being an advocate for the art team as well acting as a critical bridge between art and engineering. You know what a healthy pipeline looks like and have the chops and experience to act as its architect, evangelist and at times, enforcer. As a natural collaborator, you thrive on teams and enjoy the creative problem-solving process. Naturally curious, you are always on the lookout for new technologies and ways to improve the art and dev team’s daily life.
- Reporting to the Director of Technology and working closely with the Art and Engineering Teams, you will help foster the Art Production Pipeline.
- Identify optimization challenges, apply your expertise to problem-solve, and implement techniques to overcome them.
- Create tools and scripts to improve the art team’s efficiency.
- Develop visual features of the game, whether that’s writing shader code, pioneering new asset creation techniques, or creating technical prototypes and mock-ups.
- Work with teams across various disciplines to enhance gameplay, environments, VFX and cinematic elements.
- Ensure that assets integrate with minimal friction into the game engine, without sacrificing visual quality.
- Provide concise, constructive feedback and solutions when identifying recurring issues / needs, documenting recommendations to improve limitations or optimal use cases in pipeline and tools.
- Troubleshoot gameplay and architecture issues, which might impact content creation and integration and develop workflows to compensate for such limitations.
- 2+ years of experience as a Technical Artist at a game, VFX, or feature animation studio preferred.
- Thorough understanding of the Unreal Engine development platform (including proficiency with blueprints) or Unity 3D Engine development platform equivalent.
- Working knowledge of one or more 3D packages including modeling, texturing, rigging and IK setup, animation, scripting and tool creation.
- Experience with shader creation and scripting (Maya, API, and C++/# programming) that can produce high quality visual results and hit optimized performance targets.
- Experience with lighting and rendering techniques that can deliver eye-catching visuals on both PC and more challenging platforms like the PSVR/Quest 2.
- Intermediate programming experience with scripting languages (MEL / Python).
- Art background and content development skills with a strong artistic eye.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A self-starter attitude with excellent problem-solving skills.
- A team-player attitude with the ability to collaborate effectively with various teams in a fast-paced environment.
Nice to Have:
- Experience working with VR/AR.
Benefits & Perks - What’s in it for you?:
- A competitive base salary.
- Comprehensive extended health and wellness benefits.
- Generous annual vacation time and sick days.
- Additional bonus holidays throughout the year.
- Flexible work schedule and remote working.
- Fully equipped onsite gym.
- An opportunity to work on a high-profile IP.
- The chance to be part of an experienced, high-achieving and fun team.
- An international and diverse atmosphere.
- The opportunity to help pave the way for the future of VR/AR gaming.